My students are asking for a summer reading list (I just wish they would also read the syllabus…because my reading list is in there!). Reading List: A great book read for CFO types that want to understand SCM types (or the other way around?): “Supply Chain Metrics that Matter”…The book links corporate financials to supply chain maturity, & what metrics matter most.
The video shows 7 business books recommended by Stanford professors:
Other reads that I think would be good for SCM leaders:
The New Leader’s 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build or Merge Your Team, and Get Immediate Results- by George B. Bradt, Jayme A. Check, John A. Lawler
5 Levels of Leadership or 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell. Both are mandatory readings for many F500 SCM teams.
Many are also proponents of the “The First 90 Days: Proven Strategies for Getting Up to Speed Faster and Smarter, Updated and Expanded”, by Michael D. Watkins
This was required reading in Procurement at a F500 org:
Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by the Heath Brothers
Great feedback on these 2:
Supply Chain Excellence by Peter Bolstorff and Robert Rosenbaum
The Lean Extended Enterprise by Terence Burton & Steven Boeder
Recommended by myself:
The Goal is a management-oriented novel by Dr. Eliyahu M. Goldratt.
Another would be Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business by Bob Lutz.
Stuff we suggest students read:
– Designing and Managing the Supply Chain by David Simchi-Levi, Philip Kaminsky and Edith Simchi-Levi
– Essentials of Supply Chain Management by Michael H. Hugos
– Logistics and Supply Chain Management by Martin Christopher
– Logistics Management and Strategy: Competing through the Supply Chain by Alan Harrison and Remko Van Hoek
– Manufacturing Planning and Control for Supply Chain Management F. Robert Jacobs, William Berry, D. Clay Whybark and Thomas Vollmann
– Purchasing and Supply Chain Management by Robert Monczka, Robert Handfield, Larry Giunipero and James Patterson
– Purchasing and Supply Chain Management: Analysis, Strategy, Planning and Practice by Arjan J. Van Weele
– Supply Chain Logistics Management by Donald Bowersox, David Closs and M. Bixby Cooper
– Supply Chain Management: Strategy, Planning, and Operation by Sunil Chopra and Peter Meindl
– The Resilient Enterprise: Overcoming Vulnerability for Competitive Advantage by Yossi Sheffi
HOW TO WOW: FRANCES COLEJONES
THE EXCEPTIONAL PRESENTER: TIMOTHY J KOEGEL
THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE: STEPHEN COVEY
GOOD TO GREAT: JIM COLLINS
THE PRESENT: SPENCER JOHNSON
FISH: STEPHEN LUNDIN
THE SERVANT: JAMES C HUNTER
More thoughts on SCM Finance: