“Companies have been shifting from a “traditional experience-based” hiring approach to a skills-first one…” Keep that in mind w/ your resume & LI profile. I actually have employers tell me they will NOT consider a student if they do NOT have a strong professional LinkedIn presence. Hmm. How to effectively join LinkedIn. https://lnkd.in/dAwyTUy. I have former students that found new jobs & they were not even looking! Interviewing tools: https://lnkd.in/gipsXEsK.
Also, most employers will not even look at your resume if it looks like a lazy effort. Aesthetics matter!
Personally, I prefer WMU’s Career Services manual. Also, WMU HCOB/SCM has a great ROI (just ask my students starting at 70K & making over six digits by age 30). https://lnkd.in/gipsXEsK
Should current students negotiate an INTERNSHIP offer? The avg SCM internship is $44,918/yr, or $21.6/hr. People on the lower end, bottom 10%, make $37K/yr ($17.80/hr), while the top 10% makes $54K ($25.96/hr). https://lnkd.in/gpBm_m84
Should grads negotiate a job offer (i.e., a higher starting salary)?
Virtual career fairs: https://lnkd.in/evKd-VzQ
Business externship? https://lnkd.in/e9aeewPa
Placement success of SCM Program – *Median salary was $60K – $65K (around 10% of grads hired on w/ 1 auto OEM at $78K!). “Supply Chain”+”Degree”=jobs & $$. https://lnkd.in/gV4x6GWE
Will technology replace SCM jobs?
Global Negotiation: Fastest growing class.
A Top School: https://lnkd.in/dVdMRXP
Sample Lectures: https://lnkd.in/e9j33EQ
Power BI or Tableau? Do not be a victim of technology.
Here is a read on how SCM 4.0 does not have to be super expensive: https://lnkd.in/eyebnSct
How much Python do I need to know in order to excel in SCM?
STAR job interviews & online robots…
For details on how to build your brand: https://lnkd.in/dSAA6wF
Similar to MBTI: https://lnkd.in/ey4TEUY
Help with online interviews…https://lnkd.in/eKBDsMq
Practice before it really matters…https://lnkd.in/ekaBK5Q
Internships, salary data, etc.
Covid job market…
Delay graduation for experience? https://lnkd.in/ewKu7b_X
Right time for grad school? https://lnkd.in/eTk-PXPv
Predictive Data Analytics (Excel)…https://lnkd.in/dQABdsXc
Problem solving #1 skill set! Elon’s resume – https://lnkd.in/eWaJ8q2
Tips/advice from this college professor (aka, educated idiot):
1. Read. People that read a lot make more $ (2.3 times more?!)
2. Learn the job saving technology.
https://lnkd.in/eu7ANq6 & https://lnkd.in/gE3wp6JU
3. Learn to interview well.
https://lnkd.in/ePzz3NG and https://lnkd.in/eZgTxWc
How to prep for virtual career fairs: https://lnkd.in/evKd-VzQ
Being job ready…
4. Learn to negotiate ($).
https://lnkd.in/gMJYNJkh and https://lnkd.in/guTUcvdu
5. Learn to network & use LinkedIn. https://lnkd.in/gPZPQtqR & https://lnkd.in/dAwyTUy & https://lnkd.in/gFa3iCsg.
6. Delay graduation for experience. https://lnkd.in/ewKu7b_X
7. Learn to problem solve – https://lnkd.in/eWaJ8q2 & https://lnkd.in/gSVTKmwC.
8. Double Major? https://lnkd.in/gAViGTVG & https://lnkd.in/gqAE9u8W.
9. Get a grad degree? Earn $3M more than someone w/ only a bachelor’s degree. https://lnkd.in/g5FY5aty & https://lnkd.in/gA9KH-Ff.
10. Job rotations? https://lnkd.in/ervskG5
11. 10 college majors that earn the most money: https://lnkd.in/gcSqXwyJ & https://lnkd.in/gEXGmFfU.
12. Free tool for calculating degree ROI: https://lnkd.in/gEPwNSTJ & https://lnkd.in/gsKyJ9rn.
13. Get certified as a subject matter expert: https://lnkd.in/g3yfkvQr & https://lnkd.in/gVbQV2q7.
14. Learn to talk CFO talk: https://lnkd.in/gtve9xTM.
Recent observations & career advice (videos/podcasts):
—Dr. Sime (Sheema) Curkovic, Ph.D.,
Professor, Operations/Supply Chain, Lee Honors College Faculty FellowWestern Michigan University, Haworth College of BusinessKalamazoo, MI 49008-5429 | 269.267.3093 | email@example.com
The Western Way: “Better, faster, cheaper” www.wmich.edu/supplychain
WMU: #1 in MI for earnings by graduates
Sample Lectures: What is SCM?https://wmich.edu/supplychain/academics/lectureshttps://www.youtube.com/@simecurkovic
WMU…One of nation’s best undergrad SCM programs (Gartner); 2nd in technology (SoftwareAdvice); 2nd in top global talent (SCM World)